Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What's in a name?

It has been brought to my attention that some may think our name is in support of the despicable practice of bear baiting. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm not going to go into detail what bear baiting is, you can look it up. I will, however, explain the metaphor.

This project is unconventional in nature, and personally my first fore into writing, recording, and producing my own material. I entered into it with tons of trepidation, not knowing how it would be received in a world of everyone trying to "make it" doing the same tired thing. I've never "exposed" myself in this way, and felt a vulnerability I've never felt in all my years playing music. When Matt brought the name up as a possibility, I immediately thought of its potentially all encompassing meaning.

Right off the bat, it stands as an illustration of man's horrible and cruel nature as it sits atop the food chain. It's a disturbing reminder how shitty man has been to the world, albeit one of many examples. I have a distain for most of humanity, and felt it a good way to take a jab and point out one of its shortcomings. Secondly, it illustrated what we were feeling with respect to the aforementioned vulnerability. In short, we are the bears, chained to a stake, and you all are the dogs.

I hope this clears things up. Discuss...

-d

No comments:

Post a Comment